Sunday, May 29, 2011

EDLD 5399 Week 1 Assignment Reflection

Reflection:
During the first course of this program I completed the pre-self-assessment with a little apprehension because I was not familiar with many of the domains and competencies; as should be expected.  As I completed assignments, readings, reflections, and through review of many of my peers postings on the blogs I have developed a much better understanding of the role of school superintendent.
Now that I have had the opportunity to review my previous choices in the pre-self-assessment (strength, competent, and improvement in knowledge and skills) and relate my new learning in the post-self-assessment there is a new appreciation for the expectations and job description of the superintendent.  I will address the areas that still need improvement as well as those that are considered strengths.
The self-assessment was like a spotlight on a dark night, exposing many of my weaknesses and lack of knowledge as it relates to being a successful superintendent.  It should be noted that several of my weakness are in the area of budget and finance.  Domain III Competency 8 addresses the budgetary management and the fiscal responsibilities of the superintendent.  In the turbulent financial landscape in which we currently find ourselves, it is very important that school leaders have a working knowledge of school finance, have the ability to delegate, assign appropriate personnel in positions involving finance, and oversee the operations of the district’s financial department. 
Another area of improvement and some competence would the curriculum and instructional practices.  One of my areas of concern would be the implementation of a quality instructional program.  Domain II Competency 5 addresses curriculum design, collaboration with key stakeholders, curriculum evaluation, technology, and increase student performance.  Improving my knowledge and seeking out information and advice through collaboration with members of the learning community will be keys to success.  This program has reinforced the utilization of site-based decision making committees.
Domain I Competency 1 address some of my areas of strength include: integrity, fairness, and ethics which are very important in any organization especially education because the nature of our jobs as public servants, our work with children, and our responsibility to our community.  Domain I Competency 3 focuses on being a good communicator which is important to the success of a superintendent.  My current position as high school principal has definitely made an impact on how important it is to communicate affectively and frequently.  This valuable ability is even more important to the superintendent because when he or she speaks or sends out some form of communication it reaches all levels of the organization as well as greater portion of the community at-large.
Overall, this program has provided many lessons and quality insight to the role of the superintendent.  The self-assessments have given me valuable and practical insight about myself.

2 comments:

  1. Great reflection. I loved the simile "spotlight on dark night." You are so right about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your comment on the "turbulent landscape or the budget.

    ReplyDelete